Storytelling Arts' mission is to preserve, promote and impart the art of storytelling to develop literacy, strengthen communities and nurture the human spirit.

Friday, April 10, 2020

Riddle Stories With Mom

by Julie Pasqual

     
Julie Pasqual
As a daughter – I have A LOT to make up for!
  While I was not a kid who did drugs, or landed up in jail, or any of that kind of thing – I was, and guess still am, the family rebel.  While my five siblings chose the road my parents laid out for them – Catholic High School; College; Grad School; steady, reliable jobs.  I went the opposite way  - public arts high school, no college, left the nest and started performing (with all the uncertainty that entails) at seventeen.  To say that my parents – my Mom in particular, were not concerned about my wellbeing at best, and furious at my choices at worst would be a HUGE understatement.  There were many battles, and times of tension between us, and many immature words to them, that I wish I could take back.        
                      
        But time, and maturity, has a way of bringing back together what would appear to be torn apart, and so I find myself so much in love with my Mom, that it fills my eyes with tears even to write this.  During this time of Covid-19 – my focus has been quite singular – keep my husband and my mother safe – it is behind every wash of my hands, and every squirt of Purell.  Perhaps it is because I lost time being a brat, that now I do not want this invisible poison to take the mother I have once again found.
        Mom is obviously elderly, so the lock down for her, really is DO NOT LEAVE YOUR HOME!!  And this is hard – Mom has a schedule most twenty year olds could not keep up with – there is church, bible study, her beloved craft club – and she can’t do any of it.  Her back isn’t great, and her eyes are weak, but my Mom’s mind is as sharp as the proverbial tack – something she prides herself on, and something – although she never outright says this – she fears losing.  Every time she speaks of a friend who isn’t quite remembering as well as they used to – I can hear the nervousness in her voice.
       So, I began to think – what can I do?  My elder siblings have the getting of food to Mom, and the paying of bills, and delivery of medicines well in hand – what could I offer.  Stories!!  The first night of what I call the “Great Hunker Down” – I picked up the phone, and announced, “Mom, every night, I am going to read you a riddle story – and we’ll try to get the answer together.”  Mom gave a little “Hmph!” – a thing I have heard many times in my life – it says, “This is my crazy kid – but she means well!”
        “While Standing on One Foot” – is a wonderful book of Jewish riddle tales – and I took that as my source.  And here is the thing about my Mom – she is COMPETITIVE!!!  She was not one to let us kids win at a game!  I remember distinctly the first time one of us  - it was my brother Michael, actually beat Mom in Scrabble – we sat, withheld breath, until the last letter was down and erupted in joy!!!  He did it!  Mom smiled, too, she was glad he had won fair and square – but you can believe she beat him the next time!  So, having something to figure out, was right up her alley.  
      The first few nights, I would just call, and she would almost forget about the riddle de jour – but then after catching up with the craziness of this new world, Mom would say, “Okay – what’s my riddle?”  I love laying down the question, and then listening for her pause – thinking, and then her response – she is almost always right, or if not, she comes up with something better.  I laugh hard, and smile, and thank God that I have this time with her.
         There is no telling how long this “Hunker Down” will last, and I can only pray that my Mom remains untouched by this killer of virus, but no matter what happens these riddle story times will be moments I will treasure for the rest of my life.        

No comments:

Post a Comment